Big Data for Big Ships
Under Maritime 4.0, big data will check in on large ships within commercial shipping.
While IIoT / Industry 4.0 continues to adopt specific forms for implementation in process automation environments, the first cyber-physical systems and cloud-based network structures for maritime operations still have a long way to go before they are ready for sea travel. While it is primarily European maritime equipment suppliers that are convinced Maritime 4.0 will enable them to achieve enormous gains in commercial shipping efficiency, the question remains as to what exactly big data actually offers the maritime sector, and what new challenges are linked to these massive data sets?
Automation Takes Hold in Shipping:
- Energy-efficient operation by linking sub-systems
- Reading ship data and control intervention thanks to remote access from shore
- Cost Reductions due to Unmanned Shipping
- Evaluation of weather data and adjusting route to save fuel
- The advantages of cost reduction, environmental protection and increased efficiency are countered by a high risk of data abuse and cybercriminality.