An operating reserve compensates for grid fluctuations. If operators of virtual power plants or individual generators and controllable consumers supply this power to the responsible transmission grid operators, they can generate additional revenue. For operating reserves, a distinction is made between primary, secondary and minute reserves that must be supplied within seconds, five minutes and 15 minutes respectively. Due to high standards for signal diversity, cybersecurity and availability, flexible, safe and rugged controllers are essential. Advantages of WAGO's solution:
- Selection of more than 500 different I/O modules
- Direct coupling to the solar or wind farm's computer via OPC-XML, Soap or MODBUS RTU/TCP possible
- Communication from the system according to custom requirements
- Cybersecurity: PFC100/PFC200 Controllers comply with current IT security regulations for grid operators and can be hardened as described in the BDEW white paper.
- Cloud connectivity: Connection to the cloud thanks to an MQTT software upgrade